Friday, March 28, 2008

dirt and other pleasures

I promise to write something soon about something other than my two-year-old – what I’ve been reading (just finished No Country for Old Men, getting ready to start a new Penelope Lively); further progress on figuring out whether the man with the Dalmatian and the Jack Russell and the man who gets a manicure with his chow are actually the same person; the cheese shop; and sweet baby B, who is smiling at everyone these days and seems halfway to turning over. But living with a two-year-old like G and not writing about it is like living in South Florida and not writing about the weather. It defines your life even when it isn’t blowing the roof off.

Yesterday we went back to story hour at the American Library (a mild success), and then went to the playground on the Champ de Mars afterwards with my friend H and her two daughters, Amelie and Rose, who are just a little bit older than the boys. We all had a crepe and then set the ambulatory children loose on the playground. For the first time G. and Amelie actually played with each other instead of staring at each other balefully over peanut butter and jelly. They climbed up the ladder on the monkey bars several times; they got on the seesaw and rocked maniacally; and then they finished up the hour with G introducing Amelie to the pleasures of stomping in mud puddles and then trying to fill them up with sand.

As we were leaving the park with everyone strapped back in the strollers, H said to me, by way of wondering observation, “I don’t think I’ve ever seen Amelie this dirty.” I looked over at Amelie, in her navy coat and cotton leggings, and try as I might, I couldn’t see a speck. Then we both looked at G. He was encrusted in mud and sand all the way up to his thighs, and his hair was clumpy with sand and even a little bit of blood where he had bashed a glancing blow off the monkey bars. As we looked, he was trying and failing to stuff a very large rock in his pocket. Without saying another word, H and I just burst out laughing.

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

G will be perfectly at home visiting his NC cousins . . . I thought our little man had perfected the art of wallowing in the mud until his youngest sister came along. She manages to outshine him in that department - by miles! In fact, despite my mightiest efforts, she doesn't own anything without spots, rips or both. Even the brand new jeans she got last week only stayed whole for 2 hours - then they became holey when she fell down and ripped the knee out of them. Oh well . . .

mère de famille said...

my mother has also allowed that I was always, in her exact words, "the dirtiest child in the sandbox," so clearly there's more than just gender involved here. Which I do find relieving. It will be fun to watch the dust cloud rising when we finally get all the cousins together...